Few dishes are as beloved as the classic roast chicken dinner. However, though it tastes simple and delicious, cooking the perfect roast chicken is a difficult skill to master. There are hundreds of variations on the roast chicken dinner, from different seasonings and stuffings, but we think it’s hard to go wrong with the classics.
We like it just the way we remember it from childhood – packed full of flavour, with crispy skin, and served with roast potatoes.
- Take chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes before it goes into the oven
- Preheat oven to 220C/gas mark 7
- Put chicken in roasting tray and season generously with salt & pepper as well as drizzling olive oil over the chicken
- Cook for 20 minutes on
- Turn oven down to 190C/ gas mark 5 and cook for 45 mins
- When fully cooked, take the chicken out of the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before serving